About Me

My photo
crazy, but happy :-)

Saturday, March 2, 2013

City Council? Yup!


I started my run for a city council seat a bit on a whim, to be honest. I wanted to use my extra time wisely and serve my community, but didn't really have a set plan as to how to do that.

 I truly believe that homemaker is an honorable, worthwhile occupation and I derive a great deal of pleasure and pride from running my household and taking care of my children, but I still felt that I should be doing more. I had become accustomed to the homemaker by day and breadwinner by night division and so felt that I had extra time to spend on something, but what? That combination of a desire to serve and an irrational love of politics, coupled with an accidental stop at the City Clerk’s website culminated in a bid for the JC Ward 1 seat.

The closer the election gets the more excited I am about it! I had a lovely interview with Madeline from the News Tribune this week and it really helped cement the idea for me. I loved talking about my city and how I could be a part of making it the best it can be!

Originally, I had this, “I want to win, but if I don’t – no biggie” attitude. That has morphed into a much stronger desire to win. I have backup plans in the event that I lose, but goodness, I hope that doesn't happen! The primary election is now only days away and I am getting a bit nervous, it would be fantastic to win 50+ % of the votes and have my seat decided, but I will take just getting on the April ballot. I’m sure the other two candidates are fine people, but darn it, I would be great at this!

No comments: