About Me

My photo
crazy, but happy :-)

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Recipe of the Day-ish 8 - Stretching Chicken

When I recommend to people that they eat chicken thighs and leg quarters (because they are juicy and delicious!) I realized that I forget to tell them *how* to eat them.

First, why should you stretch the chicken?
Meat Consumption
"Let's start here: Average Americans eat WAY too much meat, in my opinion, and I am in pretty good company in that opinion. Nearly every organization that deals with health and nutrition agrees that a serving of meat should be between two and four ounces and some groups think even less! I wrote a whole post about it :-)"

So how do we meet those recommendations most days? Taking what appear to be single serving size pieces and turning them into family servings:
Look, two thighs= two servings, right?

Yum, two delicious servings...

But wait! When you take the meat off the bone, it magically turns into enough for a family!


Bonus, you get bones and skin to make a small pot of crock pot stock!

Look! 2 cups of rice, 16 ounces of frozen vegetables, and about 1 1/2 pounds of cooked chicken (about 2 cups). Six - eight very hearty servings!

So good!

So, go forth and stretch your chicken!

No comments: