About Me

My photo
crazy, but happy :-)

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Super food!

We don't have big Superbowl plans. Doug should be home from work in time to watch most of the game, but we all had crazy busy days yesterday and need some relaxation time today. That doesn't mean that we don't deserve yummy munchies! I started today thinking I would make our ol' stand-by bean dip (refried beans and salsa, today with a can of chili beans added, pretty simple). We all love it, it is easy, and plenty to munch on during the game. Well, then I got to thinking...

So, this is what I ended up with:



Bacon and Potato Wrapped Pineapple with a Sriracha Honey Glaze
I used the food processor to slice the potatoes super thin and wrapped them around the pineapple just like the bacon, then baked everything at 375* for about 30 minutes.

 
I hoped this would create crispy chips and it kind of did. For a first time trial, I'm pretty happy about it. My favorite part, though is the sweet and spicy glaze. It sounds strange, but it is just mayonnaise, Sriracha, and honey and I put it on as soon as they came out of the oven so it melted nicely.

Garlic "Parmesan" Crunchy Potato Balls

I saw this post: Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs and thought I could do something along those lines.
First I made a vegan parmesan substitute by pulsing almonds, nutritional yeast, and salt in the food processor, then added two large garlic cloves and some thin-sliced and boiled potatoes with just margarine, salt and pepper and a little of the boiling water to make a very thick mashed potato. I scooped them with my trusty ice-cream/cookie/potato/everything disher.

Then plopped the balls into a beaten egg and rolled them in panko bread crumbs with Jane's Krazy Salt and baked them at 375* for about 15 minutes.

The inside is a creamy deliciousness and the outside is just crunchy enough.

No comments: