About Me

My photo
crazy, but happy :-)

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

(Gay) Marriage Insight

I love Margaret. No, that's not why I'm in favor of allowing gay marriage... Not in that way. :-) She is an incredibly smart, well-versed, outspoken old lady - the type I hope to be lucky enough to grow into.

I'm sure you could guess that I think we should leave the government out of the whole marriage thing, gay or otherwise. I mean really, they can't manage to always make sure bridges go somewhere and we expect them to somehow manage love?

So Margaret and Helen blogged about the issue and it is, as always, entertaining and informative, but the thought below made me laugh. It's about marriage in general, not specific the the Prop. 8 thing:

>>>>>

It seems to me that the loudest Christians have suddenly become the most un-Christ-like people. And my sincere apologies to those good-hearted Christians who have found themselves caught in the crosshairs. You know, Harold is a Catholic. How would all of you feel about a constitutional amendment banning meat on Fridays? How about banning dancing because Baptist seem to have two left feet? And how about birth control? A lot of religions don’t allow it. I wonder how little Cherry from The View would feel about a constitutional amendment banning that?

If you want to protect Holy Wedlock, by all means padlock the church door whenever guys who love Judy Garland come-a-knocking. But if you want to protect marriage push for a constitutional amendment to ban divorce.

But let’s step away from the church and state argument for a second. I posted yesterday that love is about the heart not the body. Trust me, if it was about the body a lot of us would be in a world of trouble. You can’t legislate love between two consenting adults. You just can’t no matter how hard you try. If you want to save marriage, marry someone you love. And that’s all I have to say about that.

>>>>>>>>>>>>


Smart lady, that Margaret. But a bit of a dreamer, I mean, really, "marry someone you love" seriously? LOL

No comments: